Scarring Treatments: How We Can Help Reduce The Appearance Of Your Scars
Table of Contents
How Are Scars Caused?
Every person has at least one scar; whether it’s small, big or unnoticeable … there will be tissue that hasn’t adequately healed before. This brings us on to talk about how scars are caused; once you graze, cut or pierce the skin in any way, and you don’t let it heal properly, your body will have to work twice as hard, meaning the wound might not close us as smoothly.
Scarring is a big reason as to why so many people suffer from insecurities and self-esteem issues; especially if the scar is very noticeable or on a prime part of the body. Although some scars tend to fade or become paler over time, certain types stay very vigilant. Even if a scar has faded, the carrier will still notice it just as much if it damages their confidence.
If you have a scar(s) that you are uncomfortable with, there are home remedies that you can try, or you might consider having professional work done on them. Here at Aesthetics of Liverpool, we only provide our clients with trial and tested scarring treatments that we know will make a significant difference in the long run.
In regards to scarring, we have a select few treatments that we believe will give you the best chance at achieving that clear-skin aesthetic you desire. If you’d like to find out what we can do for you, continue reading this blog. Let’s begin by addressing the types of scars that you may be dealing with.
The Types of Scarring
Fine Line Scars
These are the minor versions of scarring; they are the outcome of a slight wound which leaves a red (or brown/white, depending on the skin type), raised line that’ll become paler and flatter over time. Although this scar won’t ever disappear completely, they are the least-concerning ones.
These scars are the results of your body trying too hard to heal your wound. While your body is in the healing process, it produces collagen, but sometimes it can produce too much; leading to a keloid scar which continues to grow even after the wound is fully healed. They are an overgrowth of tissue that protrudes the skin and are deep red or purple when they initially form. These are a little more severe in the sense that they can become itchy and painful, as well as tight when near a joint. There are an estimated 11 million keloid scars and four million burn scars, 70% of which occur in children.
Again, these are created through the over-production of collagen. They share the same appearance as Keloid scars too; however, they do not increase in size. Instead, they become flatter and paler as time goes on after initially thickening and deforming for up to six months after the injury takes place.
Pitted or Sunken Scars
These scars may be smaller, but are still very deep. You will usually have sunken scars or ‘Ice pick scars’ as they are well known as from severe Acne or Chickenpox. They aren’t painful; however, they are very noticeable and are one of the most prominent when it comes to low self-esteem.
Acne, as you may already know, is prevalent in teenagers and younger adults. About 95% of people aged 11 to 30 are affected by acne to some extent. As this condition already takes its toll on its carriers, it’s no surprise that the scarring that comes hand in hand with the cysts, pits and larger pimples, can affect someone’s self-esteem severely.
What Scarring Treatments Are There?
Our highly experienced and knowledgeable clinicians give each and every client a service bespoke to them. Every person’s skin, body and features are different; therefore, we make it our mission to find a solution that gives them the best results for their type of skin, body and features.
In terms of scars, we offer a range of scarring treatments dedicated to minimising the appearance of scars, as well as encouraging them to disappear completely. First things first, you will need to attend a consultation with one of our clinicians so that they can determine what procedure will work best for your scarring. They will assess your skin to develop a treatment plan that is entirely tailored to you.
The treatments you may be offered are a Cosmelan Skin Peel, Grade Skin Peels, Mechanised Micro-Needling, Collagen Induction Therapy, Laser Resurfacing, Advanced E-Light, Co2 Laser or IPL, Low-Level Light Therapy or the use of Mesotherapy and Hyaluronic Acid Fillers.
What Treatments Can We Offer You for Acne Scarring?
In terms of your Acne scarring, we have a range of specially designed treatments that combat these particular scars alone. As these scars are a lot deeper and are usually spread across one’s face, it’s imperative that we take extra precautions. Here are the five Acne scarring procedures that we offer here at Aesthetics of Liverpool:
- Skin Pen: This procedure works well because it promotes the production of collagen. As Acne scarring tends to leave a ‘pitted-like’ texture, the Skin Pen device creates thousands of micro-punctures in the face to stimulate natural healing, thus producing collagen which will even out the skin’s surface.
- Subcision: This treatment essentially lifts the Acne scars with a needle to ensure that there is a smooth surface ready to be treated with a Co2 laser. This procedure was designed to smooth out all lumps and bumps of the skin by encouraging the healing process again and has very good results after just one session.
- PRP: Similarly, this treatment harvests Platelet Rich Plasma from the client’s blood which will then be applied to the problem area where it will encourage the natural healing process. The platelets in our blood are made up of growth factors which heal wounds and damaged tissues. This treatment may sound daunting, but again, it will smooth out any pits to the skin.
- Steroid Injections: Corticosteroid solution is injected into the scar to reduce its size. Steroids break up the collagen fibres of the skin which reduces the amount of scar tissue underneath the skin.
- Flattening: Silicone scar sheets are applied to the skin to soften, flatten and smooth down the pitted/raised scars. The sheets use patented 100% silicone technology that shrinks the appearance of scarring after a few months of use.
With a vast range of scarring treatments available, we are confident that we can help you get the results you want. Here at our Liverpool aesthetics clinic, we have a team of highly skilled leading professionals that are experienced in dermatology and other medical advancements; therefore, you couldn’t be in better hands. We will ensure that you are comfortable through the entirety of your experience with us.
For a more in-depth look into any of these treatments that can counteract your scarring, visit our website. To book your consultation with one of our consultants, call us on 0151 203 1393, and we will be more than happy to get you booked in. Let’s bring your skin back to life, together.